Low Graphics | Accessibility

How to find an adviser

Top tips!

It’s a really good idea to keep all your tax credit stuff in a file.

Keep copies of your award notices and any other letters you receive about your tax credits.

Keep copies of any letters and forms you send to HMRC.

Keep a record of any phone calls you make to HMRC. Include the date, time and the name of the person you spoke to.

If you are sending important letters to HMRC, use registered post so that someone signs for it. Keep the proof of delivery in your file.

You may be able to get help from a local independent advice centre or CAB that helps with benefits problems. Look in your Yellow Pages or search for your local CAB. (See 'Links to other websites').

Turn2Us offers a Find an adviser search. See 'Links to other websites'.

StepChange offers free debt advice including advice on tax credit overpayments on 0800 138 1111. This is a freephone service including for all mobiles.
See 'Links to other websites'.

Money Advice Service runs a Money Advice Line on 0300 500 5000 (English) or 0300 500 5555 (Welsh). For information about how to book a meeting with an adviser see 'Links to other websites'.

Your local council may be able to tell you about local advice services, and some local authorities run their own welfare rights service that may be able to advise you. Local council offices, community centres, or libraries should also be able to help you to find out about advice services in your area.

Sometimes there are services that you can access through your GP, social worker, hospital, or community centre. There's no harm in asking - so call your health centre, and your social worker, hospital, or community centre if you have one, and ask if there is a service for you.

Working families run a helpline for parents who work: 0300 012 0312
You can also e-mail for advice: advice@workingfamilies.org.uk
See 'Links to other websites'.

Gingerbread has a helpline for single parents: 0808 802 0925
It is open on Mondays: 10am to 6pm
Tuesdays/Thursdays/Fridays: 10am to 4pm
Wednesdays: 10am-1pm and 5pm to 7pm
See 'Links to other websites'.

July 2013

Get advice

Need help with a problem? Find advice services and solicitors near you who can help you solve your problem. Many people are able to get free help and advice.

Have we been helpful? Could you help us in return?

Advice Now Web 0033 Op

If you found this information helpful could you make a small donation to help us keep this website up and running. Just text the code ADVN22 £2 (or any amount between £1-10) to 70070 to donate to us. We are a very small charity and rely on donations, grants, and sponsorship. Alternatively, If you are a Facebook user you could share the guide you liked on your wall (there is a button at the bottom of the page) or you could post it to any relevant forums you use.

Tell us about yourself!

Tell us about you

We want to know a bit more about the people who use our site, to help us improve it. Can you spare a few minutes to tell us a bit about yourself in complete confidence? Take the survey here:Tell us about yourself!

Please rate this article: