Full Graphics | Accessibility

Information provided applies to England & Wales

Housing and homelessness

Select a heading

No results from Advicenow

What are you looking for?


Information about private, shared, local authority, housing association, and sheltered housing. Also covers hostels and accommodation agencies.

Accommodation agencies

Information on agencies, public and private, which can help you find accommodation.

Agricultural tenancies

What to do if you have an agricultural holding. Your rights if your landlord is a farmer whether you are an agricultural worker or not.

Council tenancies

The types of tenancy you can get from the council, including protected and introductory tenancies.


Who has responsibility for different types of repairs. Action that you can take to get the repairs done.

Emergency accommodation

Short-term housing that you can get if you are in urgent need, for example, bed and breakfast hotels and hostels. Councils often provide short-term accommodation to homeless applicants, while they look into what further help they can provide.


Your rights if your landlord asks you to leave your home. What you can do if you are going to be evicted, or if you think you have been illegally evicted.

Eviction and repossession

What to do if your landlord asks you to leave your home, or you are in danger of having your home repossessed.

Freeholds and leaseholds

Information about freehold ownership (where you own the property and the land on which it is built) and leasehold ownership (where you have the right to occupy and use a property for a specified term). Includes information on service charges and responsibility for repairs.


Your rights if your landlord is intimidating you, or interfering with services, in order to get you to move out.

Home ownership

Buying or selling a home. Covers the different types of home ownership.


Accommodation or advice you can get if you have nowhere to live. Your rights to stay where you are living, and when you may have to move because your home is unsuitable for you.


Information about basic accommodation offered by hostels, particularly if you are young or homeless.

House buying and selling

Buying or selling a home. Including information on costs, working out what you can afford, and conveyancing.

Housing conditions and disrepair

What to do if your accommodation needs repair work.

Intentional homelessness

The council may decide you are intentionally homeless if they consider that you deliberately did or didn't do something that caused you to lose your home. This may affect your right to be housed by the council.

Local authority housing

Information on whether you are entitled to accommodation from the local council, and what kind of accommodation local councils may offer.

Local connection

If you make an application for housing, you need to show you have connection with the area. Details on what counts as a local connection.


The types of loan you can use to buy a house or flat that are paid off over a long period of time. The loan is secured on the property, which means that the mortgage lender can go to court to evict you if you do not keep up the repayments, or if you break the terms of the mortgage agreement.

Multiple occupation

Your rights if you are living in shared accommodation.

Neighbour disputes

What you can do if you are having disagreements with your neighbours, including boundary and hedge disputes, or problems with noise and trespass.

Priority need

If you need to be housed urgently because you are vulnerable.

Private rented accommodation

Your rights if you are currently living in private rented accommodation, or want to rent from a private landlord.

Private sector tenancies

The types of tenancy you have if you rent from a private landlord, including assured shorthold tenancies, holiday lets and service tenancies.

Registered social landlords

Registered social landlords are independent housing organisations, mostly housing associations.

Renovation grants

Grants that you can get from the local authority to make your home fit to live in.


Your rent and the terms and conditions on which you pay money to your landlord in return for living in your home.

Repossession of homes

What to do if you are in danger of having your home repossessed by your landlord, including repossession because you cannot keep up with the mortgage payments.

Security of tenure

Your rights to stay in your home if you are renting it.

Sheltered housing

Housing, usually for older people, with on-site wardens and other facilities.

Street homelessness

If you are living on the streets.

Tenancies and licences

Your rights if you live in rented property. Covers what type of tenancy you might have.

Tenancy agreements

Your rights, and the rights of your landlord. Including your rights even if you don't have a written tenancy agreement.

Travellers rights

The rights of travelling people. Includes your rights to stop legally, park and live in a caravan, and how to access services such as healthcare and education.

Unfitness and overcrowding

What to do if your accommodation is in poor condition, if it is affecting your health or the health of someone that lives with you, or if there is not enough room for the number of people that live with you

Unintentional homelessness

What to do if you have become homeless through no fault of your own.

Get advice

Need help with a problem? Find advice services and solicitors near you who can help you solve your problem. Many people are able to get free help and advice.