Full Graphics | Accessibility

Get advice in England and Wales

There are lots of different organisations who can offer help and advice with a problem. Here we list some of them and briefly explain what they do.

Getting advice

Advice UK advice centres
Advice UK is a network of independent advice centres. Some give general information and advice on a range of subjects whilst others specialise in one or more area of law. Find out if there is an Advice UK advice centre near you by calling 020 7469 5700.

Citizens Advice Bureaux (CABx)
Citizens Advice Bureaux help people resolve their legal, money and other problems by providing free information and advice. You can find your local CAB by visiting their website (see 'links to other websites' on the right) or by looking under ‘Citizens Advice Bureaux’ in The Phone Book.

Community Legal Advice
Community Legal Advice is a free, confidential service to help people deal with their legal problems. You can contact them by calling their advice line, or by visiting their website (see 'links to other websites' on the right)
Community Legal Advice Telephone Services: 0845 345 4 345

Equality and Human Rights Commission
The Equality and Human Rights Commission is an independent public body. Its helpline gives information and guidance on discrimination and human rights issues, as well as providing information on its website. In limited circumstances, they will help people to take discrimination claims to a court or tribunal. You can contact them by calling their advice lines or via their website (see 'links to other websites' on the right hand side of the page).
0845 604 6610 - England main number
0845 604 6620 - England textphone
0845 604 8810 - Wales main number
0845 604 8820 - Wales textphone

Law Centres
Law Centres are staffed by both solicitors and other workers who specialise in legal problems. They offer a free service. Law Centres usually only help people who live or work in their area. You can find out whether there is a Law Centre near you by visiting their website (see 'links to other websites' on the right).

The Law Society
The Law Society represents solicitors in England and Wales. You can search for a solicitor by area of law on the Law Society website or by calling 0870 606 2522 or visiting their website (see 'links to other websites' on the right hand side of the page).

Yellow Pages
You can also find details of local advice agencies and solicitors in the phone book, or on the Yellow Pages website - see 'links to other websites'.

Some organisations specialise in giving advice to particular groups of people, or about particular problems. Here are a few examples:

Age Concern provides information relevant to the needs of older people. As well as running the Age Concern Information Line 0800 00 99 66, many local Age Concern groups offer advice. See 'links to other websites' on the right hand side of the page.

DIAL is a network of local disability information and advice services run by and for disabled people. Visit their website by following the link on the right.

Shelter housing aid centres offer specialist information and legal advice about housing. For details of your nearest housing aid centre, follow the link to their website on the right. Shelter also provides advice and information via it’s free national telephone helpline on 0808 800 4444.

For more information on getting advice see our guide Do I need a lawyer? (327 KB). It will help you to decide what type of an adviser you need and explain what to expect when you get there.

March 2010

Get advice

Need help with a problem? Find advice services and solicitors near you who can help you solve your problem. Many people are able to get free help and advice.

Have we been helpful? Could you help us in return?

Advice Now Web 0033 Op

If you found this information helpful could you make a small donation to help us keep this website up and running. Just text the code ADVN22 £2 (or any amount between £1-10) to 70070 to donate to us. We are a very small charity and rely on donations, grants, and sponsorship. Alternatively, If you are a Facebook user you could share the guide you liked on your wall (there is a button at the bottom of the page) or you could post it to any relevant forums you use.

About 'Is that discrimination?'

EU flag

'Is that discrimination?' is supported by the European Union Programme for Employment and Social Solidarity – PROGRESS 2007–2013. The information on these pages covers England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. For more information see About 'Is that discrimination?'.

Tell us about yourself!

Tell us about you

We want to know a bit more about the people who use our site, to help us improve it. Can you spare a few minutes to tell us a bit about yourself in complete confidence? Take the survey here:Tell us about yourself!

Please rate this article:

Type your comment

* indicates a required field.

Comment on this article

See our Privacy Policy

To help us ensure that we only get comments from real people, please enter the following code below D29A4

In this section

Where do you tend to go for advice when you have a problem?

Links to other websites

Get Adobe Reader

Get Adobe ReaderSome documents require Adobe Acrobat Reader to view them. Download it here.

Problems Downloading? Download help